Total Pageviews

Wheels, Old and New

Dear Diary:

A motorcycle story from 1963.

I wanted to make a chandelier from a wagon wheel. The problem was finding a wagon wheel.

I was driving my motorcycle and I saw a man driving a horse cart. I asked if he knew where I could get a wagon wheel. He said to follow him and we went to his stable in East Harlem, about 110th Street near the East River. So I gave him $10 and took the wheel.

It was two and half feet in diameter with an iron rim and hub, and weighed over 75 pounds. I strapped it to the rack of my motorcycle and drove off. You can imagine it was pretty large and heavy, balanced on the back.

As I was driving home, a cabby pulled up next to me and said, “Hey buddy, got a spare?”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us vi a e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.