Total Pageviews

The Rockaway Spirit Lives After Hurricane Sandy

Victor Kerlow

Dear Diary:

A mild November day, five weeks after Hurricane Sandy. I walk the shoreline in Rockaway Beach as I do several times a week, every season of the year.

My walk does not feel as therapeutic or serene as it usually does. How could it The storm’s devastation is inescapable. If I glance toward where the beach walls once stood, I see rubble. The once stately homes along the beach now hang like cardboard boxes.

I feel a terrible sadness, and so I will myself to look only at the ocean, to concentrate on the rhythmic beauty of the waves â€" and how in spite of everything it still feels like my old, dear friend.

And then I see them. Three heads bobbing, three wetsuits, on three surfboards â€" surfers catchng waves in the near distance. In that moment I know that NOTHING can destroy the “Rockaway spirit,” and that this community of gritty, unpretentious ocean-lovers will rebuild, renew and be more beautiful than ever.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.

Sent from my iPhone