Total Pageviews

Overheard at Le Bernardin

The dining room at Le Bernardin in 2011.Nicole Bengiveno/The New York Times The dining room at Le Bernardin in 2011.

Dear Diary:

As my boyfriend and I are finishing a celebratory dinner at Le Bernardin, on West 55th Street, a couple in their 50s wearing festive sweaters sits down at the next table.

Waitress (to the couple): “Can I offer you a drink before dinner”

Woman: “I’ll have an unsweetened iced tea.”

Waitress: “O.K.”

Woman: “Do you have free refills”

Waitress: “Uh, I’m not sure. I’ll have to check.”

Woman: “Check, and if you do, then I’ll take it with ice. If you don’t have free refills, I’ll have it with the ice on the sid..”

Waitress: “Got it.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.