Total Pageviews

Missed Connection on the R Train

Dear Diary:

“…Stand clear of the closing doors, please.”

I didn’t notice him until
The next stop, Grand Avenue.
Sitting alone,
Reading “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.”

“Next stop, Elmhurst Avenue…”

¡Me gusta Junot Díaz también!
I want to exclaim.
But how do I do that
Yell across the aisle

“Next stop, Roosevelt Avenue…”

He’s sporting Chuck Taylors.
Those are my favorite shoes.
In fact, I almost wore them today.
And he’s holding a Dunkin’ Donuts coffee cup.
Hey, I go there before the
Long and lonely ride
From central Queens to Wall Street.

“Next stop, 65th Street…”

Dark skin.
(Dominican Cuban)
Whatever it is, I like it.
And a full head of really
Dark brown hair, almost black.

“Next stop, Northern Boulevard…”

Maybe we are going to the same place.
I wonder what he does for a living.
Poet Opera singer Waiter Spy
He doesn’t have a ring on his left hand…

“Next stop, 46th Street…”

Suddenly he
Starts laughing so hard at Oscar
That he has to cover his face.
The woman next to him glares
As he shakes,
Rustling her coat.
She stands.

“Next stop, Steinway…”

I wish I could sit there.
No â€" that would be weird.
Why can’t the R break down today,
As it seems to do every other day of the week

“Next stop, 36th Street…”

I’ll bet he’s perfect.
Doesn’t over-text,
Is the life of the party,
Watches independent films,
Jogs every morning.

“Next stop, Queens Plaza…”

Look up.
I love that book.
Look up look up look up.
I’m a commitmentphobe but
Let’s get a dog and a house and live happily ever after.

“Next stop, Lexington Avenue…”

Begrudgingly I make my way out,
Head to the 4/5 â€"

!

“…stand clear of the closing doors, please.”

â€" and leave my Dominican-Cuban-Poet-Singer-Waiter-Spy
For Oscar.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.