Total Pageviews

(2013 resolutions)

Illustration: The New York Times; Photos: Michael Kolomatsky and Tony Cenicola/The New York Times “I wish my cat would get a job.” -Margaret Diehl, N.Y.C.

City Room put a twist on a New Year's tradition, asking readers to propose resolutions for their loved ones to make. The responses were by turns sweet, cutting and flat-out weird. Here are some of our favorites.

Please quit smoking. I'm proud of you for trying and cutting back. I need you to be alive for a long time!
-Breuk, Brooklyn< /p>

For my husband to stop kicking the can down the road and get moving on this legal separation agreement already!
-kanecamp, mid-coast Maine

Never change who you are. I love you!
-Mrs. Chips Ahoy, NYC

I wish my cat would get a job.
-Margaret Diehl, NYC

Having a stronger relationship with The Lord and the fear of God since that ‘s the beginning of wisdom.
-Yves Domond, Roselle, New Jersey

For my parents to take more days off from work! They don't have to work so much!
-George, Mayaguez, PR

Finish that novel!
-Khanh, Los Angeles

For a certain cousin of mine to use his turn signal when changing lanes while driving.
-asrothzeid, brooklyn

I would like my loved one to put the caps back on say the toothpaste. I feel it is a metaphor for life.
-Sheeba, bklyn

I wish my children and grandchildren would learn to value my senior thoughts and wishes.
-KLM, Sou t Texas

Read a book. Not some books…a book. (Still love him though)
-patty, Detroit

Try to be more like me!
-RN, NYC

For my friend to stop trying to set me up on dates with my customers. Please.
-Sanderson, Eastern CT

My loved one loves to buy from deal of the day websites. Enough said.?
-Meighan, Rye, ny

Control your temper.
-Cassandra, Los Angeles

Love more, judge less.
-sruran4, Suburbs, NYC

All loved ones should resolve not to suggest to others how they can improve themselves.
-Siobhan, New York