Total Pageviews

Talking to Invisible Friends

Dear Diary:

One morning last week, as I stepped into the elevator in my apartment building, I encountered an unfamiliar man carrying a bulky tool bag, who was in mid-conversation with, it seemed, an invisible friend. I didn't spot a cellphone or Bluetooth, and there was no one else in the elevator.

Normally, I would assume this was just another stressed-out New Yorker talking to himself, but - wait - I could also hear the other person's voice! Was I going crazy, too?

Finally I asked, “Who the heck are you talking to?”

The guy laughed and pointed upward.

“I'm the elevator repairman, and my buddy is riding on the top of the car.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.