Total Pageviews

New York Knights

Dear Diary:

I'm a New Yorker who lives in Charlottesville, Va. Even as the children grew up here, I wanted to make sure that they felt connected to the City - so, Yankees and Giants and frequent family visits.

A long time ago now, when our son was 5 or 6 and we were leaving the Arms and Armor Court at the Met, I asked him if he wanted to say goodbye to the knights. He turned and said in the sweetest possible voice, “Goodbye, knights, see you another day!”

I have really enjoyed these last 10 years of visits to my son, the New Yorker, as he studied at the New School, started a career, planned a wedding and now an imminent move to Virginia to join my business.

On one of his last days in the City I received a not completely unexpected text: “Said goodbye to the knights.”

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.