Total Pageviews

At Barclays Center, No Bottle Caps for You

Dear Diary:

DATE: Nov. 21, 2012
PLACE: Barclays Center
EVENT: Bob Dylan/Mark Knopfler concert

My partner, Janet, and I are eager to sample the Brooklyn cuisine at the new venue. I order a sandwich and a bottle of water from the friendly young server. As she puts the bottle on the counter, she explains what she's about to do.

“I have to open it for you.”

Shrug. O.K. Whatever.

“I also have to keep the cap.”

“Huh? Why?”

“People have been throwing them.”

Sigh. Zheesh. There are long, steep stairs between us and our seats… now with water sloshing all over? Janet asks if an exception can be made for a couple of tame older folks.

“No, I'm really sorry. That's the policy.”

We cajole the server, with a watchful eye on someone behind her who looks a lot like a supervisor.

“I'm sorry. I wish I could.”

Minutes pass. We wait for the sandwich. The server smiles and gestures toward Janet's jewelry.

“That's a beautiful ring! Can I see it?”

Janet extends her hand for the server to study. With the invisible skill of a true sleight-of-hand artist, she slips the cap into Janet's palm. Janet beams. My sandwich comes. Bravo!

And the concert was great, too.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.