Total Pageviews

A Gift of Flowers

Victor Kerlow

Dear Diary:

I had an unusual experience recently.

The morning seemed like a run-of-the-mill weekday. I had just dropped off my daughter for school on Flatbush Avenue in Park Slope and was waiting for a friend and fellow mom to emerge from her car to chat when a man came out of DNY Natural Land. He was carrying a bouquet of roses.

Feeling a bit playful, I addressed him. “Oh, for me?” I asked, expecting a smile and a polite brushoff.

But something entirely different occurred: The man looked me full in the eye, grinned, and said, “Yes. For you!” then handed me the roses.

“Ha, ha!” I laughed and handed back the bouquet. Or tried to. He refused to accept them.

“No, no, you can't mean thi s!” I screeched.

“I do,” he insisted, and walked back into the store to buy a second bouquet.

What could have precipitated such a generous act? Had the love of his life just accepted his proposal? Had he snagged a new job or promotion? Or was he simply glad to be alive on this beautiful wintry morning? I'll never know - only that a stranger on the street initiated an unexpected act of kindness. And for that, lovely, anonymous man, thank you.

Read all recent entries and our updated submissions guidelines. Reach us via e-mail: diary@nytimes.com or telephone: (212) 556-1333. Follow @NYTMetro on Twitter using the hashtag #MetDiary.