Total Pageviews

Fareed Zakaria Is Suspended After Admitting Plagiarism

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

The Indian-born American journalist Fareed Zakaria apologized on Friday for plagiarizing parts of a column on gun control in the Aug. 20 issue of Time magazine, Christine Haughney reported on the New York Times blog Media Decoder.

Time, where Mr. Zakaria is editor at large, and CNN, where he hosts a weekly program on international affairs, said they were suspending him.

“Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore's essay in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker,'' Mr. Zakaria, 48, said in a statement released Friday. “They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time, and to my readers.”

CNN, which, like Time, is owned by Time Warner, said Mr. Zakaria had written a shorter blog post for CNN.com on gun control that contained “similar unattributed excerpts.” “That blog post has been removed and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review,” CNN said.

Read the full post.